Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Bittergourd Superstition

Lunch with the four special ladies from the Quality Laboratory was always enjoyable. The conversation was largely varied and entertaining, filled with gossipy banter about the colleague across tables, or a worried discussion about their teenage children. Both Sumadi and Abuma were local Indians, while Sarah immigrated from North India when she got married ten years ago. Lorraine, their young Filipino supervisor, was an amicable lady of few words.

The three Indians often brought food from home, religiously adhering to their weekly vegetarian diet. It was a welcoming contrast to see the assortment of flavourful curries and yoghurts that they whipped up, as my mother’s culinary skills were limited to boiled vegetables, steamed fish and tofu. (Well, I exaggerate.)

We were having lunch as usual when Sumadi opened her packet and the mouth-watering aroma of belachan (prawn and chilli paste) filled the air. She began to dish out some to Abuma, and smiled shyly when I paid her a compliment, offering some to me. Observing that she had little for herself, I declined. Yet amid my protests, she placed a spoonful on my plate and instructed me to try it.

Noticing her packet lacked a healthy nutritional balance, I suggested, “Hey, now that you have so little to eat, why not take some of my bittergourd?”

She hesitated. I could see that she was tempted to accept, but refused uneasily.  I had remembered her eating the dish two days back, and it could not have been about sharing food and utensils too, since she had initiated the offer. Dismissing the thought, I quickly attributed her refusal to maternal instincts, hoping to fatten up the young intern ‘at her growing age’, as motherly figures may say.

I scooped the slices deftly from my plate, attempting to reciprocate with an undeclared attack. It was brusquely stopped midair and directed back firmly. It was quite unlike Sumadi’s character to be so insistent. Opposite us, Lorraine raised her eyebrows, puzzled.

Finally, Sumadi explained that in her cultural upbringing, bittergourds meant a bitter implication for relationships. It was a social inhibition to serve the dish to guests. Even for family consumption, she would leave it in the wok, and portions would have to be collected individually! Abuma was nodding vigorously in agreement, while the other three of us listened incredulously. It was in treasuring our friendship that she disallowed me from sharing the dish. I never looked at bittergourds in the same light again, at least when eating with the both of them.

This event was brief, but it jolted me from complacency towards understanding intercultural behaviour. I had assumed that I was sufficiently exposed to the Indian culture, by having attended Indian weddings, and living in an Indian household in Australia for a month. Personally, bittergourds had been but a type of vegetables.

Yet, Sarah’s ignorance of this superstition proved that there were still many intricate differences in traditions and practices within people of similar race. Thus, my key to effective intercultural communication would be constant alertness, attentive observation, then finally seeking to clarify when in doubt. Who could tell which other words held a different connotation, or when an object entrenched underlying meanings?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Yanling!

    This is a very well-written, most engaging post! The events were narrated so vividly, I could almost picture myself at the table with you! (:

    Your story brings to mind my aunt's rule that no-one is allowed to present another person with a pair of scissors as a gift. The recipient MUST pay the giver for it...even if the amount of money is a 'token' sum of a few cents. She explained that this was because giving someone a pair of scissors signifies 'cutting' ties with them. Hence, pairs of scissors can never be 'gifts', they must be 'purchased'. Particularly when dealing with family members.

    I guess there are more examples of things like this in various cultures; another example being how traditional Chinese believe giving someone a clock ('song zhong') is terribly unlucky. I guess this whole phenomenon arises because different cultures link their own significances to various things, according very different meanings to them. Thus it's always best to be as informed as one can, to avoid accidentally offending someone else.

    Thanks for sharing this! It's one more thing I now know to avoid doing in future (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yanling,

    I like your summary at the end of your post. The key to effective intercultural communication would be constant alertness, attentive observation and finally seeking to clarify when in doubt. These are what we really need to obey when dealing with intercultural communications.

    The scenario is described very vivid in your post; however, it will be better if you can make your post shorter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent post, Yan Ling! In much the same way that your images made May feel, I had a sense of being at the same table with you as I read your vivid account. Wonderful description of a very telling encounter!

    I also appreciate the principles that you deduce from the experience: constant alertness, attentive observation and seeking clarity. That's great advice for anyone on life's journey, Yanling. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yanling,

    This is a very clearly described essay with vivid adjectives, giving me the feeling that I am in the same table as you. And yes in many social context, giving different things can mean differently. In Thailand, you should not give a necklace to your boyfriend/girlfriend because it means chaining him/her down to you. Necklace might be a romantic gifts in other culture, but in Thailand, it could be the totally different story.

    Apart from clarity, this account is very concisely explained with concrete details. Each section complete the other, very well-written. The sentence length varies according to emotion as well. This is another element of good writing. Apart from those, I could not spot a grammatical mistakes. All 7Cs in this essay! Fantastic job!

    Billet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yanling,

    I liked the descriptive post, no grammatical mistakes. I would suggest that the post be made shorter, though:)

    Wyhow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yanling,

    Thanks for making this post. Your post is quite interesting and vivid.

    I dont know that bittergourd has such a meaning in India. I need to pay more attention next time!

    I think your friends are quite nice as they kindly tell you the reason and the cultural difference because they believe you don't mean to offend them. Maybe some other people will just accept unhappily but not telling it. So maybe another way to look at the intercultural communication is to be more open-minded and think the positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yan Ling,

    Thanks for placing such post, it has been an interesting read.

    You have certainly open up my perspective of Indian culture beyond the usual ‘curry’ culture that they usually practice. Now, I can gladly tell my friends to be more culture sensitive towards the unique meaning of bittergourd to South Indians. I initially had the mindset that they all shared the same culture and practices since they originated from the same country and that the only difference between both groups of Indians is the distinct skin complexion. Your post has absolutely proved me wrong and that I should actually widen my scope to intricate cultures among the same race. I also agree on the key points towards effective communication that you have mentioned in your posts on constant alertness, attentive observation and seeking for clarifications when in doubts. Without all these, we might unknowingly offend others.

    Once again, thanks for the excellent effort: D

    Cheers,
    Sylvester

    ReplyDelete