Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Cover Letter of Bosch's Aspiring Junior Manager (editted)

Bosch's Junior Manager's Program


Objective
Our Junior Managers Program is designed to groom management potentials who are competent in their area of expertise to become future ‘organization anchors’ to contribute to the organization.  


Structure & Duration:
Junior Managers Program is a 1.5 to 2 years long program which trainees are assigned to different functions within the organization, inclusive of at least 1 overseas assignment. This rotation will give trainee the breadth of experience and exposure to help them move into management role in mid to long term within the assigned division. 
Upon completion of the program, trainee will take on an appropriate position within the division which they can apply the skills and knowledge acquired in the program.


Key Development Areas:
The trainee will be developed through training courses, seminars and on-the-job training in the following areas: 
  • Bosch Values, Culture and Processes
  • Functional Knowledge
  • Project Management
  • Leadership and Management Skills 
  • Intercultural Competency

Criteria:  
Currently, we are looking for a Junior Managers Program candidate within the Corporate Research department. If you possess the following criteria, please send in your resume to hr@sg.bosch.com:
  • PhD in Natural Science or Technical Engineering or other related field (e.g. Physics, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering)
  • Fresh graduate or graduate with less than 3 years of working experience
  • Good leadership track records in Core Curriculum Activities (CCA) during university studies, first experience in project management would be helpful
  • Has gained foreign experience during a semester or internship
  • Good English written and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of other foreign language will be an added advantage
  • Strong interpersonal skills
  • Highly initiative
  • Able to work in a team as well as independently
  • Willing to travel and relocate during the program

Kindly indicate “Junior Managers Program Application for CR” in the subject heading of your email application.
http://www.bosch.com.sg/content/language1/html/3071_6488.htm


Appendix: The online version of the article I read about Bosch on newspapers on The Straits Times (Weblink and Summary below:)
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_525688.html 
  • Bosch's Group opens $92million ASEAN Headquarters
  • Future investment of $26million into solar energy research for next 5 years
  • Regional Hub for its Security Systems, Automotive Aftermarket and Solar Energy Divisions
  • Focus in research in organic photovoltaics

*****
My Cover Letter


Toh Yanling 
Blk XXX XXXX St XX, #XX-XXX 
Singapore XXXXXX 
(65) 9XXX XXXX 
yanling.toh@nus.edu.sg


1st September 2010


Director, Human Resource 
Robert Bosch (SEA) Pte Ltd 
11 Bishan Street 21 
Singapore 573943


Dear Sir/Madam,


JUNIOR MANAGERS PROGRAM APPLICATION FOR CR


I am a final year undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering with a great interest in photovoltaics. It was with much excitement that I found an alignment of my interest in an article about your opening in The Straits Times, dated 13th May 2010. Since then, I have been a staunch follower of the local website, where I have learnt of this program. Having participated in numerous talks about renewable energy under the NUS’s Technopreneurship Incubation Programme, I am very keen to seek opportunities to contribute especially towards the Renewable Energy Systems Division, under the Junior Managers Program.


My analytical and leadership skills have been honed through the numerous projects I have managed both in school and various charitable organizations. These include the executive positions at a youth club in Central Singapore Community Development Council and Rotaract Club of Singapore (City). These community projects include raising awareness for dementia and the Bone Marrow Registry in schools, as well as overseas trips to Siem Reap, Cambodia. During my term as Community Service Director, the club clinched regional awards, such as the Best Rotaract Club of the Year in 2008.


With regards to professional development, I was given the opportunity to develop technical skills in various departments at Favelle Favco Bhd in Sydney, Australia. This not only provided me with profound insight into the management operations for manufacturing the world’s fastest cranes, but also an immersion into the multicultural environment of the workplace with colleagues from continents all over the globe. In addition, through a year long design project  to design and fabricate a solar tracking system for indoor illumination, my teamwork and communication skills were further honed. Our device was eventually showcased to industrial experts at the annual exhibition.


As such, I believe that together with my passion to travel, these interpersonal and leadership skills gained from the variety of curricular and co-curricular activities would put me in good stead to work amicably with colleagues, in contribution to continuous productivity of the organization.


Enclosed, please find my resume. I would welcome the opportunity for an interview at your convenience to discuss the prospect for a position in your organisation.


I look forward to receiving your favourable reply.


Yours faithfully, 




Toh Yanling 
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering 
National University of Singapore

7 comments:

  1. Hi everyone,

    I regret to inform you of my futility in reducing the size of space between paragraphs. I'll work on it soon.

    Cheers,
    Yanling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yanling,

    I suggest elaborating on your involvement with Central CDC, to give an idea of the skills you have gained. After that, perhaps you can explain how these skills can ocntribute to the company.

    Wyhow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yanling!

    Your application letter is well-written, and addresses every single criterion stated in the job advertisement. There's a close matching of your capabilities and interests to the requirements of the job; from active CCA involvement, to interpersonal skills, overseas-study experience and willingness to travel. I'm honestly very impressed with the changes you've made since the first draft we evaluated in class.


    There are just two sentences I'd like to point out for minor (probably typo) errors:

    1. It was with much excitement to find an alignment of my interest...>>> It was with much excitement that I found...

    2. through the numerous projects I have managed in both in school and various charitable organizations.>>> ...through the numerous projects I have managed both in school and various charitable organizations.

    Overall, I think you've got a really good application letter here. And if I were the HR manager, you'd be the first one I'd call for an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yanling,

    My greatest concern is that the company actually needs PHD student and I don’t know whether they will give you special consideration or not. For the other criteria of the company, what you have written is quite related to the specific job requirement and it is very convincing.

    Also, you may want to justify your letter to make it look more professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yanling,

    I am jealous of your overseas experience!

    Your letter is fairly concise. Perhaps out of the 7Cs, completeness is lacking somehow. You might wish to develop more on your technical skills which you possess, and link them up to the jobscope. Also like what Wyhow mentioned, you did not mentioned about how you could contribute to the company. Showing how your skills are relevant to the jobscope will definitely boost your letter. :) Other than that, your letter is pretty fine.

    Regards,
    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yanling,

    I think for the PhD part, you do not need to worry since it is stated there that fresh graduates could also apply.

    It is evident that you have made an effort to link your experiences to this particular job through in the second last paragraph. Perhaps you could try to add one sentence at the end of the previous paragraphs to link the main point to the job requirements explicitly. It could be more reader-friendly because they do not need to wait till the end to see the crucial link.

    In terms of technical requirements, I think you are well-qualified. Good job, Yan Ling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi YanLing,

    What a huge job requirement. The job requirements basically ask everything from you. Nevertheless, you have done a fantastic job in matching all the criteria in the job requirement. I am very impressed by what you have done so far and I will call you up for interview first. Most of the points brought up are also relevant and very well-substantiated. However, more elaboration could be put on Central Singapore Community Development Council. I believe it is a very prestigious position in which if you explain a little bit would be a very plus point for your letter.

    Organization wise, I think you did a great job with clear introduction and clear topic sentence of each paragraph. The structure of each paragraph is logically explained. Although the link between those paragraph is little lacking and the little conclusion at the of each paragraph should be there, the letter overall very well organized.

    In the use of language, your language is persuasive, making me wanting to call you for interview. The writing is also precise, clear and coherent. I believe that this job is less technical than it is sound since it is a manager position, it should be more of people skills that are relevant. You put those skill through very vividly. With these, I think this is a very well-written letter which would definitely earn you a place in interview.

    Cheers,
    Billet

    ReplyDelete