I have a confession to make. I have a phobia of silence.
Heights, flying scarab beetles, creepy crawlies—they have no impact on me whatsoever. Yet, when it comes to speaking, words just escape, my brain fails me and the inner alarm starts shrilling inside. During these panic attacks, I have learnt the nature of the ensuing silence so well, where fallen pins are quite audible, and expectant faces turn quizzical and then sympathetic, and their gazes shift to give personal space and less pressure.
***
A friend once declared he was going to make himself famous. He observed that invented words were made common by its frequent usage. The verb google to replace the meaning of researching online, was non-existent twenty years ago, so was noob, a noun describing inexperienced players in the gaming arena. Concluding that as long as his words were popularized among a group of followers, they would live on after his death. Thus, ceassance (pronounced SEE-zee-an-se) was birthed amidst our amusement, in description of a moment of awkward silence. And it marked the moment my greatest fear in life was named.
***
Those were insane days where daydreaming was still a class hobby. On the other hand, fame was not on my list. I dreamed of travelling the world, helping the poor and making the world a better place. Yet, fast forward to present day, where a handful of those friends have begun the next phase of life in the professional world, while for me, the problem of communication still persists in various degrees.
For one, as a student, I have learnt that effective communication is important to answer my burning queries. At times, being unable to pinpoint my doubts, it leaves me wondering if there was a conceptual misunderstanding, or that the objectives of the lecturer to deliver relevant contents were unmet. An even greater challenge would be to perfect the skill to reflect my ignorance to the tutors, hopefully in an intelligent way, so as to identify the unknowns and pose questions to fish out answers from their vast knowledge. How is it possible for the tutor to understand what I ask, if I do not know what I do not understand?
As an aspiring professional, I find an increasing need to portray the image of competency during my interviews as well as at the workplace. One dead-embarrassing moment I recall, was a self-initiated phone conversation with the HR personnel of a potential company for an internship during the summer holidays. The purpose of the call was to enquire about the prospect of an interview. However, she replied that their selection was based purely on the candidate’s resume. Unexpectedly, she popped the question, “Looking at your resume, I understand you have worked before?” Opportunity was like a seed planted, just awaiting the right amount of water and fertilizers.
“Yes. I have worked before. Thanks for considering my application,” I replied curtly. With that, I hung up. It was probably the most pathetic phone call I ever made, failing to internalise her intentions in that split second, to seize the opportunity given or convince her with my interest in the job. Instead, I was convinced of the importance of effective communication. This required a range of skills all put to use simultaneously, thinking, listening, understanding and speaking to convey ideas. These would ultimately be the tools that would bring me closer towards my dreams.
In all, I have understood the limitations of my life experiences and have seen how the awkward silences are a barrier to my confidence and communication channels. In order to gain knowledge and expand my horizons, appropriate modes of information-sharing has to take an active role in my academic and professional life, to achieve self-fulfilment and goal actualization.
Hi Yan Ling!
ReplyDeleteIt was really interesting reading about how the importance of communication has evolved with every stage of your life; how your different perspectives on life have simultaneously shaped your views on effective communication.
I agree with you that awkward silences are terribly unnerving. And yes, communicating effectively does gain importance as we progress through life; particularly as we prepare to enter into the corporate world.
Let's explore this field of effective communication through ES2007S together this semester, and hopefully it'll get you one step closer to achieving your personal goals (:
Hi Yan Ling:
ReplyDeleteIt is really quite enjoyable reading your post. The name 'in silence' and the simple style of your blog give me an impression of simple beauty. I like your language style and it is like chatting with old friends in a relaxing afternoon.
I have encountered many similar situations like you and I also think I am always the silent one in a group.However,I think silence may not always bad and means a poor communication skill. But saying the right thing at the right time seems more important.
So do not get frustrated. Actually I really think you are a good communicator from our discussion in class!
Cheers!
Hi Yan Ling,
ReplyDeleteFrankly, I liked the personal touch in your post. This is one of the skills that I intend to improve on in my posts.
About portraying the image of competency, usually in interviews and presentations, I find it easier to just be myself, instead of pretending to be the "submissive, obedient" worker. I would give presentations or attend interviews, and try to include a bit of humour to lighten up the mood. Competency can be improved on the job, but it's whether your personality can fit in the company is what I believe employers look for.
$W?h0w$
Hi Yan Ling,
ReplyDeleteIt was a really enjoyable read, with a bit of humor along the way. I like your writing style, it brings me into your world.
The problem of unable to ask in class in prominent in Singapore. I was once a quiet boy (can you believe it?). I had a lot of moments in which I was burning to say something, but I did not dare to. Afterward, I regretted not saying it.
That was my secondary school days. In JC, I had an opportunity to change and I did it. I was more talkative and I guess it changed my
life a lot. So what I am trying to say is it's not hard to change yourself to be more daring, especially from who you are now. What I told myself was "if you want to succeed, you have to say this sentence." Although most of the time the words aren't that great, it's the start. I believe you are able to be an effective communicator.
On the other hand, there is a little lack of link between the paragraph. There are quite a few big jumps from one paragraph to another. Otherwise, this is a fantastic essay. Great job. (:
Hi Yan Ling,
ReplyDeleteYour post is quite interesting to read and you must be a very open and humorous person.(guessing from your words)
Although the link between the first three paragraphs and the rest seems not so close, you may just want to give few example on communication change, in my opinion. The phone interview story is funny, and I cannot help asking you whether is was you first time to call to apply an interview or not?
Hey there Editor-in-Chief,
ReplyDeleteI'm just gonna go with the popular opinion and reiterate that you communicated your fear of silence in a very humorous manner and of course, effectively. Great job!
As Billet already mentioned, there exists a pressing problem of clarifying doubts and speaking up in class. It's either due to the fear of getting written off or laughed at from the simplistic nature of our questions or like you said, a case where I'm totally lost and do not know what to even start asking. I personally feel it's more of the former which is also harder to change. That can probably only be solved by self awareness and the daring initiative within us to overcome it. As far as engine tutorials go, the interaction level is generally scarce but they do seem pretty knowledgeable. So maybe in your case a simple but desperate 'I do not understand anything at all about this, please help!' plea might just do the trick. Just saying from experience :)
It's also precisely experiences like that of yourself and the HR person over the phone that we find ourselves in this course. Dead embarrassing moments wise , better now than later..
This is one of those very few posts where the entertainment value is so high that I temporarily lose myself happily in your prose, and so, disregard the desired word limits. You have a very fluid, articulate writing style, Yanling, and you use concrete detail and personal anecdote to great advantage. I especially like the story about the phone call with the interviewer. Your need for better comm skills comes through loud and clear in that. I also like the way you paint the big picture, tying your skill development even to "to achieve self-fulfilment and goal actualization."
ReplyDeleteOf course, since conciseness is on our agenda as one of the goals in our writing development, I'd suggest that you look back through this and at least imagine what parts could fall to the editor's axe. What do you think?
In any case, thanks for this! I look forward to reading more from you!
Hi Yan ling,
ReplyDeleteI like your story about the phone call with HR personel. I believe these awkward experiences could and should not be escaped. We are not born to handle professional phone calls with those HR officers. You might remember this anecdote forever as a lesson and joke for yourself. :D
The beginning is always the hardest. Steep slopes. After some time, it will go steady and you may find it much more comfortable dealing with professionals. So no worries for now.:)
Hi everyone! :)
ReplyDeleteI really treasure all your comments and have been reading it over and over again, in attempt to find the right amount of time to reply to each and every one of you in hope to address your questions!
Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement you've given! :) It really helps me to see from your perspectives. Most importantly, having been kept away from storytelling, with that overexposure to mathematical formulae and writing technical reports, it is a refreshing change to have comments to help improve the neglected side of my brain and its deficiencies.
Well, to address the feedback about the incoherent jumps in the first 3 paragraphs, it was actually intention to link it to the name of my blog, called the-ceassance, hoping to focus on my motivation to achieve better communication skills, and to chronicle the journey of overcoming the awkward silences. But I guess I became too concerned about the word limit that I omitted that part.
Well, will work on it when I have the time!
In response to the questions raised,
Billet: It was really nice to share your past experiences here, and I could personally identify with it – that courage to speak up about something I was dying to say. But yeah, I guess it’s a fear of being judged and saying the wrong thing. Somehow deep inside, the reminders of the past boo-boos I’ve made will surface, the type that will make me cringe internally, so eventually the ideas are dammed up and remain unspoken. But nonetheless, I am very grateful to your suggestion, and it has given me more courage to speak up.
Wen Lue: I have never had a phone interview before, so I was really nervous trying to speak and listen to the HR lady over the phone. Even though I have called other companies on other occasions during part-time jobs, somehow it was mostly the nervousness that blocked my thought processes, so I guess the two things necessary would be composure and guts! :)
Once again, not sure if it's too late to reply, but I'm really touched to receive all your comments!